Using MapRun and how it works
- Start MapRunF and tap Select Event and browse to the course in UK/Coventry and Warwickshire that you are looking for
- or Tap Events Near Me to display a list of courses near your current location
- Tap Go to Start to see the map and course (input the 4 digit PIN if necessary).
- Once the GPS is live, a dot will show your current position on the map.
- Once the footer has gone Green, you need to run or walk through the Start to begin the course timer.
- The app tracks your location & continually compares that location with the Latitude and Longitude of control locations contained in the Course File for the event
- If the distance to a control is less that 15 metres, the app records a punch for that control
- After at least one control has been visited, when you approach the Finish the app stops the timer and records that the finish has been visited.
- Don’t approach the Finish until you really want to finish!
- The “rules” for the event type are applied to determine a result. For a line course this includes checking that all the controls have been visited and in the correct sequence.
- A result file and track are automatically uploaded to the MapRun server at the end of the run - if you have a data connection - or you can do it yourself later when you have data or WiFi. You can also send your results to Strava.
- The result is merged with other results for this event and displayed on the phone and on the MapRun website.
- You can compare your results with others on the same course, and view the route you took. (you may need the course PIN to do this on the website).
- If you have failed to register at a control there are options in MaprunF to claim a particular punch. For an explanation of how to do this see:.http://maprunners.weebly.com/maprunf---review-results.html
Note that you can run just with any GPS watch and upload a GPX track for a result to be determined using http://www.p.fne.com.au/#/gpsupload
Some useful tips:
- Make sure your phone has enough charge - GPS can be quite power hungry.
- Make sure that your phone sleep settings won't close the app or GPS during your run http://maprunners.weebly.com/phone-settings.html
- Ensure you have your sound turned up so you know when you've got to a control.
- You don't need data/WiFi whilst you run - only to download the map beforehand, and to upload your result at the end.
- A good tip is to download the map in the app before you leave home where you can use your WiFI.
- Your result is saved to your phone, so can be uploaded at any point. Tap Show Results, select the required event and then the 3 lines on the app Header and selecting Upload (Manual)